This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ready for an easy dinner idea? This Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat Recipe makes taco night even easier! This is a very flavorful, not too spicy and super simple way to make shredded chicken! The possibilities are endless whether you use it in Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Tortilla Soup, tacos, nachos or quesadillas.
Why Should I Make Chicken Taco Meat in the Crockpot?
I think nearly everyone will agree, crockpot recipes always seem to be the most delicious and super easy. Chicken is always cooked to perfection and shreds so easily every time. I love the ease of throwing everything in the crockpot early on in my day, and set it and forget it (for the most part). Knowing dinner will be ready or at least mostly ready by the time dinner time rolls around is the best! Be warned, this recipe is ridiculously easy.
Recipes Ideas to use this Chicken Taco Meat
Whether you’re adding chicken to tacos or quesadillas, this crockpot chicken is perfect for the job. Here are few recipe ideas to get you started.
- Amazing Chicken Enchiladas – forgo the fajita seasoning in this recipe and use this chicken taco meat instead.
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup – adding chicken already flavored with taco seasoning will only enhance the flavor of the soup!
- Southwest Salad Recipe with Chicken – this recipe calls for rotisserie chicken, but can easily be swapped for chicken taco meat.
- Taco Casserole – you can substitute the ground beef with shredded chicken
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
You can use store-bought taco seasoning, no problem! I always keep a few on hand for busy days. But if you want to make your own, I have a great one! My Homemade Taco Seasoning is so much better than store bought and you probably have all of the ingredients in your spice cabinet.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat
Throwing this recipe together for the crockpot is ridiculously easy. For full recipe details and measurements, see the printable recipe card below.
Add Ingredients to a Cold Crockpot
Place chicken into the crockpot. Sprinkle taco seasoning onto chicken, and pour the can of chilis and salsa over the top.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and will shred easily.
Shred Chicken + Place Back in Crockpot
Shred chicken by using two forks or in your stand mixer using the paddle attachment. It only takes a few seconds. A hand mixer will also work.
Remove any questionable pieces (fat, cartilage, etc.) and place back into the crockpot with the cooking liquid. Cover to keep warm and serve in tacos, quesadillas, on a salad, or however your little heart desires.
Storing Leftover Shredded Chicken
Any leftover shredded chicken can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave in intervals, occasionally stirring until heated through. Freezing this chicken and using for later is very simple. Allow chicken to cool completely before placing in a freezer safe, airtight container. Chicken will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw and use: Place in the fridge overnight to thaw. When ready to use, reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Other taco recipes you might like:
Be sure to save, print, bookmark, and share this recipe! Get the printable version below.
Have a great week, friends!
Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat Recipe
- 2 lbs frozen chicken breasts about 4 breasts
- 1.25 oz taco seasoning packet 1/4 cup
- 4.5 oz mild diced green chiles 1 can
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- Place all ingredients into a crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and will shred easily.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred, removing any fat.
- Place back into the crockpot and stir with remaining liquid. Cover and keep warm in the crockpot until ready to serve.
- Serve in tacos, quesadillas, nachos, etc.