Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are a quick and easy way to get some real tasty fries! Cook them to perfection and then dip into your favorite sauce. Extremely similar to my regular Air Fryer French Fries but made with sweet potatoes!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries |Yum Yum!
So, I love fries of all sorts. This is not new information. Last week, I posted an easy Air Fryer French Fries recipe and joining the air fryer recipe arsenal today are these sweet potato fries! No surprise there that I am making fries (and more fries!) with my air fryer. While I’m still on the fence about a lot of recipes made in the air fryer, fries are not one of them. They are fantastic and taste amazing.
Main Ingredients Needed
4 ingredients plus S+P create perfectly crispy tasty air fryer sweet potato fries! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sweet Potatoes – These are sweet, starchy, and full of vitamins! I found purple sweet potatoes at Costco recently and think those would be super fun for kids.
- Cajun Seasoning – this brings a savory salty flavor to the fries with just a tad bit of heat.
- Onion Powder – this creates an even more savory flavor.
- Olive Oil + Cornstarch – these help crisp the fries up.
- Salt + Pepper – and don’t forget to season before you bake!
This is a basic recipe for sweet potato fries made in the air fryer that are sweet and savory. However, you can add a variety of seasonings to bring out either flavor profile, here are a couple of ideas:
- Brown Sugar + Cinnamon
- Garlic + Parmesan
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
A Note About Air Fryers
I’ve only used two air fryers and have gotten just about the same results with each one when it comes to this recipe. The air fryer pictured in my photos is this one (the cheapest one off Amazon). It’s great for a smaller family and if you’re wanting to dabble in the air fryer world, it’s pretty non-committal. I’ve also tried this Cuisinart larger air fryer and I think I prefer it better. It’s more of a convection oven feel since it uses a tray instead of a basket plus its basically a toaster oven with an air fryer option, but it still yields the same great results.
I will say that regardless of the air fryer you are using, the basket is a huge pain to clean. Some of them say their baskets are dishwasher safe, but honestly, you’ll get it a lot cleaner washing it by hand. I understand their appeal for sure, but just know that this part of air fryer ownership sucks.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
For full details on how to make Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Prep the Sweet Potatoes
Peel sweet potato and cut into 1/2 inch fries. Toss with olive oil, cornstarch, cajun seasoning, onion powder and salt and pepper.
Cook in air fryer at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, tossing half way in between.
If they aren’t as crispy as you’d like, toss again and cook another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot with ketchup.
While the cornstarch will help make crispy fries, if the basket is overloaded with too many fries, they are more likely to steam versus roast or “fry”.
A simple dip like ketchup is perfect for these air fryer sweet potato fries, a little sweet and a little savory. But something like ranch, garlic aioli, hot sauce or even a good old fashion fry sauce would be good too.
What do you like to dip your sweet potato fries in?
More Sweet Potato Recipes to Try!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potato and cut into 1/2 inch fries. Toss with olive oil, cornstarch, cajun seasoning, onion powder and salt and pepper.
- Cook in air fryer at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, tossing half way in between.
- If they aren't as crispy as you'd like, toss again and cook another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot with ketchup.